The 2014 Heart and Hand Catalogue is Coming Soon!
Saturday, November 22, 2014
5:30 – 9:30 pm
The Heart and Hand dinner and auction remains the premier social NSUC event of the year while also raising funds for church operations. As we enter our second transition year, Heart and Hand has chosen a Wizard of Oz theme focusing on our own Yellow Brick Road of self-understanding. The Yellow Brick Road is the path that leads the cast of characters on their quest of to obtain brains for the Scarecrow, a heart for the Tin Man, courage for the Lion and of course a way home for Dorothy. During the course of the story, the characters demonstrate that they already have the qualities they seek. Likewise, our congregation will need our brains, hearts and courage for own journey. So come ready for a night of fun with a group of smart, loving and brave individuals.
An Evening of Fun and Friendship
Heart and Hand is NSUC’s biggest social event of the year and we want everyone to attend. The evening starts at 5:30pm with a fun filled social hour featuring appetizers, an open bar, silent auction and a scavenger hunt to test your powers of observation and detective skills. The highlight of the night is the dinner and live auction commencing at 6:30 pm. The main course is provided to be enjoyed alongside favorite salads, side dishes and desserts provided by you and fellow guests. In addition to our Live and Silent Auctions, there will be live entertainment, Auntie Em’s Bake Walk, Fix the Wizard’s Balloon 50/50 Raffle and, and our popular restaurant board with gift certificates to your favorite Emerald City Eating Establishments.
Like all successful endeavors we need everyone’s participation. So here are ten ways you can get involved:
1. ATTEND!!! Have fun, meet new people, eat a great dinner, share some wine, enjoy the entertainment, and help us raise some money to supplement church operations. (you need only to bring one item – please sign up for the category of your choice). The main course is provided and everyone brings an appetizer, salad, side dish, or dessert. Soft drinks and beer shall be provided. Bring your favorite bottle of wine or two if that is your preference.
2. HOST a party or event!!!One of the most popular and wonderful things about Heart and hand is getting to know other people through the parties that are auctioned and held throughout the year by members of the congregation. Individuals attend just to round out their social calendars. These parties rock and there is an event for everyone’s taste and pocketbook. Some parties are so memorable they become annual events. If you have never hosted a party, get your creative juices going and consider doing on this year! Thumb through past auction catalogues at the Heart and Hand table after services to get ideas.
3. DONATE something for the silent auction!!!Something can be a gift basket for a book lover, a cooking class, tickets to a sporting event, yoga lessons, babysitting for an evening, etc. Do you have some extra theater tickets? Or do you have special talent like hypnosis to offer? The auction catalogues from previous years area great sources for ideas.
4. BID on the Live and Silent Auction offerings!!! The auctions are a WIN-WIN for the congregation and members. The church receives auction items from inside and outside the church at no cost, and our members can attend some great dinners and parties, try new restaurants, pick up theater tickets, etc... Giving has never been so painless. If you can’t join us on November 22nd, you can sign up as an absentee bidder to get those seats at that party you wanted to attend. Absentee Bidder forms will be available on-line or at the Heart and Hand table after services.
5. BUY and SELL Raffle Tickets!!! Fix the Wizard’s Hot Air Balloon is the theme of this year’s 50/50 raffle. The tickets are $20 each (or 6 for $100) and our goal is to sell 160. We are selling the tickets in-house, but also to friends outside the church. Tickets will be available after services every Sunday. If you can’t attend the dinner and auction, buying a raffle ticket is a great way to help out. The drawing will be on November 22nd, and you don’t need to be present to win.
6. VISIT your favorite restaurant(s) and REQUEST a gift certificate!!! You will be surprised (or maybe not) at the generosity of our local eating establishments, especially if you are a frequent customer. Ask for the manager and explain it’s a church fundraiser. Restaurant donation packets containing letter of introduction and tax forms are available at the Heart and Hand table after services.
7. BAKE your signature cake or pie!!! As it turns out Auntie Em’s Bake Shop is right on the NSUC Yellow Brick Road just a tornado away. Bring your delicious dessert on November 22nd to be sold as part of our Bake Walk. Sign up to donate your cake or pie after services.
8. WALK the Bake Walkon November 22nd. It’s played like musical chairs, and everyone who pays to plays wins someone’s signature cake or pie. Each ticket is $20.00. With Thanksgiving the next week the timing couldn’t be better.
9. SHARE your musical gifts!!! We are looking for musicians and singers to perform a song or two during dinner and dessert. You can pick a song from The Wiz, Wicked , the original movie, or one of your favorites.
All are welcome at our weekly Heart and Hand Committee meeting every Tuesday evening starting at 5:30 pm.
*Donation contracts and sign-up sheets will be available on the NSUC website and at the Heart and Hand table after services starting October 12th. Please note that we cannot accept donations of used items.
Donations – November 12th
Event Tickets – November 19th
Can't make it to service on Sunday? Download the Heart and Hand Invitation and RSVP form, Raffle Tickets, or the Donation Contract. You can now also download information about absentee bidding! Absentee Bidder Instruction Sheet and Absentee Bidding Form.